Truth. Whoever invented the hamburger was an absolute genius.
Honestly, is there anything that combines all food groups and wraps it tightly between 2 halves of a bun? And provides the greatest combination of comfort and sustenance with just a single bite? We’re not sure there is!?! Which is why even in -35˚C us crazy Canadians light up the BBQ and grill up a burger. There’s not much that can beat it…Well, maybe a cheese stuffed burger?!? So that’s exactly what we did.
Once you’ve decided on your cheese, pull out the toppings for your hamburger and you’ll be ready to go. Lets do this and make the ooey-gooey cheese stuffed meat patty!
In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat and ‘binders’ following our recipe. This will help make a moist burger and keep it from falling apart while you’re grilling. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty!
This is a great time to also go and light your BBQ. It needs to warm up before putting the meat on…and it might be freezing outside like it is here in Calgary right now!
Back to the recipe, divide the meat into equal parts and roll them into a ball. This will make it easier to stuff the sliced blue cheese within.
Lay your cheese in the middle of the ball then pull the ground meat around. Carefully seal in the cheese within the meat. Then shape and flatten your patty so it’s approximately 3/4″ thick.
Ready to go, let’s get to the BBQ. Now, depending on your grill, you’re BBQ should be heated nicely. We like to heat the BBQ on high and then turn it down a bit once the meat is put on. This helps to sear the patties and keep the moist juices in without scorching your meat. It’s cold in Calgary right now as we write this blog but it’s all good! Put on your warm parka and you’ll be alright.
Flip the burgers using the parchment paper squares. Start the first side approximately 3 minutes and then flip them for an additional 7. Then flip again if further cooking is desired.
Whew, it’s a bit chilly but these burgers are so worth it! Lol, what’s -36˚C?
When your patties are finished grilling, top with your favourite veggies and sauces. There are so many options!
Blue Cheese Stuffed BurgersCourse: MainCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This recipe takes the humble cheeseburger and elevates it to an entire new level. Stuffed with blue cheese, it stays gooey and warm wrapped in its meaty blanket. When taking a bite, your taste buds will definitely thank you.
2 lbs ground beef
1 cup gluten-free oats
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
6 thick slices of gluten-free blue cheese
- Preheat BBQ grill to med-high heat
- In large mixing bowl, combine all above ingredients except blue cheese.
- Cut parchment/baking paper into 6 squares. Approximately 5″ x 5″.
- Divide meat mixture into 6 balls on parchment/baking paper squares.
- Pat each ball into patty shape approximately 1″ thick. Lay piece of cheese into each patty and work into the centre. Ensure cheese is fully ‘buried’ in the meat and sealed all around.
- Place on the grill using paper to flip patty. Start hamburgers on first side approximately 3 minutes. Flip then for additional 7 minutes to seal in juices and cheese. Flip again if additional cooking is desired.
- Depending on your BBQ, or HA!…if it’s -30˚C, burger patties will take approximately 12-15 minutes to grill.
- These burgers are made with ground beef. However, this recipe also works well with turkey, chicken or even salmon for more options. Be adventurous!
- *This recipe is based upon well-done beef hamburgers. The cooking times are based on using high direct heat. If you are making a different meat variety, the cook times will vary. Please use a meat thermometer to ensure burgers are cooked properly.
- Add to a gluten free bun and be adventurous with your toppings. There’s no limits to what makes a great burger!
- Happy Grilling, Stacey and Meg
Pure genius we tell you.