We know what you’re all thinking…a brie wrapped within our CUT pie crust. Right? Lol, although this would be delicious, we’ve changed this up a bit! This pie is a little different then what you’d expect. This brie pie is uniquely topped with JAM, wrapped in strips of BACON, and then baked!
Yes! We did say bacon! We also said jam!! …and not just any jam. We prepped this brie pie using another favourite local YYC company – Worthy Jam. Their Vanilla Rhubarb Jam is absolutely amazing and is the PERFECT pairing for this holiday appie.
If you’ve not heard of Worthy Jam; you absolutely must check out this company!
“The Worthy story started in late 2014 when I stumbled into an addiction recovery room. Having spent most of my adult life in active addiction, it was high time. But shifting to a sober life did not happen overnight – it was tough work.”
“In 2016, I started to get my zest for life back with the help of 12 Step groups. I found a passion for preserving, and decided to make jam for a living. My hope is that, one jar at a time, I can reduce the stigma around addiction and remind everyone: we are all worthy.”
We were so excited to partner with Worthy Jams. Their product tasted amazing and we loved the reminder that everyone is Worthy.
Getting to work, we knew we needed to create something different and incredible tasting. This recipe for Brie Pie will be a family favourite this Christmas season – we promise!
Looking a bit tricky, this is actually an easy recipe to create! We’ll show you how to ‘weave” the bacon and then it’s simply a matter of spreading the jam, and baking.
To begin weaving the bacon, set aside 6 strips of bacon and start by making a letter “H’ on your baking tray lined with parchment.
Then you’ll add another piece of bacon in the middle of your “H”.
Fold back the end sides of the original 2 first strips in your “H” and place another strip of bacon perpindicular. Lay back the flipped bacon.
Do the same on the other side.
After completing these steps, you’ll have created the lattice in which your cheese will sit. Optionally now at this step you’ll need to decide whether you’re going to baste your brie pie with either a brown sugar bourbon, or maple syrup. It doesn’t matter which you choose – both are delicious!
Go ahead and slide just the brushed “bacon lattice” into your oven for an initial 10 minutes before adding the brie and jam.
After the bacon has baked for the initial 10 minutes, pull it out of the oven and brush another coating of either the bourbon or maple syrup. Next, flip the ‘bacon lattice’ and you’re now ready to build your pie.
Spread half the Worthy Vanilla Rhubarb Jam in the middle of the bacon, set the brie on top, and another final spread of jam. Oh yum…wrap the bacon up tightly and around the brie and secure with a few toothpicks if needed.
Brush more bourbon/maple syrup and then bake for another 10 minutes.
You’re probably ready to dig into this incredible pie by now, but there’s one more interval of baking! Hang on, you’re almost there… Remove the toothpicks, the bacon should be secured now. Using a ‘flipper’, carefully flip over your pie.
Brush a little more bourbon or maple syrup for a final time and also sprinkle a bit of brown sugar over the top. Then, put the brie back into the oven for its final bake! The countdown is on, your Worthy Jam, brie pie is almost ready…
Brie PieCourse: AppetizerCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
This unique appetizer will be a crowd pleaser! A twist on a traditional baked brie; bacon wrapped and topped with Worthy Vanilla Rhubarb jam, this is a perfect holiday statement from your kitchen.
6 strips gluten-free bacon
small brie round (approx. 200g)
1/2 cup Worthy Vanilla Rhubarb jam
1/2 cup bourbon OR maple syrup
1 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using parchment lines baking sheet, arrange bacon in ‘lattice’ form. Weaving pieces together. (See above blog for details)
- Brush either bourbon or maple syrup over bacon lattice and bake for 10 min.
- Remove from oven and flip entire bacon lattice over on baking sheet. Brush again with bourbon/maple syrup.
- Spread 1/4 cup of Worthy Vanilla Rhubarb jam in the center of the bacon. Set brie on top and then spread remaining jam on top of the brie.
- Wrap sides of bacon around the brie. Take care to cover all sections of the brie. Don’t leave any holes. Secure with toothpicks.
- Brush again with bourbon/maple syrup and bake again for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking brie from oven. Then remove toothpicks. The bacon should be secured. Carefully flip entire brie pie over using ‘flipper’.
- Brush again with bourbon/maple syrup and sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Bake again for last 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then go ahead and cut into wedges or slices. Serve on gluten-free crackers or simply as is! Feel free to top with a little extra jam if you’re feeling extra ‘festive’…
- Cheers to bacon, brie and Worthy Jam!
Stacey and Meg