We know it’s December and the snow should be flying…but here in Calgary it’s been balmy and feels almost like spring! Riding bikes, having fires and the kids playing outside in just hoodies, has us in the mood for burgers! We’ve not completely negated the fact that next week may be a blizzard, so we decided to keep the cooking of these delicious burgers inside.
These mushroom burgers are so incredibly fresh tasting, they’ll definitely take your taste buds back to summer! Full of flavour and even a teeny bit spicy, we owe the majority of this to Micro YYC’s Spicy Mix.
“Micro YYC is an urban microgreen operation located in Calgary that has been providing fresh microgreens and shoots since 2015. Vanessa Hanel is the owner/operator of this micro business and it was her love of gardening and good food that led her to start growing greens. Micro YYC has come a long way since its inception in Vanessa’s basement, and now operates out of a 3000 square foot warehouse with a team of 6 part-time staff and distributes microgreens to stores, restaurants and markets in Calgary and beyond.”
“Micro YYC’s microgreens are grown year-round, indoors, in soil, without the use of synthetic inputs. Seeds are certified organic whenever possible. All Micro YYC products come in compostable packaging that is made from plants.”
“Microgreens are packed full of nutrients, fibre and are good sources of plant-based protein. They are an excellent addition to salads, sandwiches, wraps, stir-fry’s, smoothies, and are an excellent nutrient, flavour and colour boost to any meal. You can order sunflower shoots, pea shoots, classic mix and spicy mix microgreens as well as wheatgrass (pet grass). The best part about microgreens is that they are always local and always in season!”
Before you start to create these incredible burgers, be sure that you’ve ordered your fresh Micro YYC greens and have had them delivered. These are too incredible to substitute or leave out! Micro YYC has many different platforms to order through…go ahead and give them a quick google “Micro YYC”.
To begin preparing these delicious burgers, you’ll roughly chop some portabello mushrooms and onions and get them frying. Boil some water and cook the quinoa according to package instructions. These patties won’t take long to have ready. You’ll be enjoying a delicious Mushroom Burger shortly!
When your mushrooms are thoroughly cooked and the onions are transparent, add the walnuts, garlic and rosemary. Continue to cook this all for an additional 5 minutes. Then go ahead and pulse in a food processor adding green onions, and white wine vinegar.
In a large bowl, add processed ingredients to quinoa, egg, CUT Flour and Micro YYC Spicy Mix. Using your hands, form about 4 X 5-6oz. patties. If you want to make your patties smaller – go right ahead! Just remember to adjust your cook times accordingly 😉
Once the patties are all formed, you’ll start cooking them back in your same mushroom frying pan! Use remainder of the avocado oil (if needed), and sear each side of the patties until they’re golden brown; about 2 minutes each side.
Transfer the seared mushroom patties onto a baking tray and finish cooking in the oven for 20 minutes.
Dress your gluten-free bun with all your favourite toppings! Our favourites include tomatoe, jalapeño’s, hummus, our Peanut Thai Sauce and of course….more Micro YYC Greens! Cheers to eating more greens!
Mushroom BurgersCourse: Main, VegetarianCuisine: canadianDifficulty: Easy
Full of flavour and even a teeny bit spicy thanks to Micro YYC and their Spicy Greens! This vegetarian option will become the families favourite burger, even the kids won’t mind the ‘green’. Don’t worry about the grill for this one – it’s the perfect burger for a winter blizzard!
2 big portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
½ cup walnuts
2-3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
¼ cup onion, roughly chopped
1 tbsp rosemary
½ cup avocado oil, divided
2 tsp white wine vinegar
½ cup green onion, roughly chopped
½ cup Cut Flour
1 cup Micro YYC spicy mix
2 cups cooked quinoa
- Optional toppings:
Peanut Thai dressing
extra Micro YYC Greens!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On med/high heat, cook mushrooms and onions in ¼ cup of avocado oil until onions transparent. Approximately 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium/low. Add walnuts, garlic and rosemary and continue to cook for additional 20 minutes.
- Transfer to food processor and pulse with white wine vinegar and green onion.
- In a large bowl, mix cooked quinoa, CUT Flour, puréed mixture, and Micro YYC Spicy Mix.
- Using your hands, combine everything well. Form 4 patties, each weighing between 5-6oz. each.
- In your same “mushroom/onion” frying pan on medium heat, use the remaining ¼ cup of avocado oil (if needed), sear each side of the mushroom burger patties. Cook until they’re golden brown, about 2 minutes each side.
- Transfer to an oven proof baking pan and continue cooking the patties for 20 minutes in the oven, heating all the way through.
- Dress gluten-free buns with your favourite toppings! Or try pairing with something new! We love topping this burger with our Peanut Thai sauce or hummus, tomatoe, jalapeño’s, and of course….more Micro YYC spicy mix
- Fingers crossed we can avoid the inevitable blizzard a little while longer…but we’re ready with Mushroom Burgers!
Stacey and Meg